Unfortunately, identity theft is more common than most of us realise. It can do serious damage to your finances, reputation, and future.
When it happens, the earlier you find out the better. There are some common tell-tale signs that something may be wrong. Knowing what those signs are is important, as is taking action as soon as you feel something is wrong.
Common signs of identity theft:
- You receive bills, statements, or confirmation letters for accounts you didn’t open.
- You are surprised by being denied a loan or credit.
- Sharp changes in your credit score that you don’t believe there is a good reason for.
- Suspicious charges on your credit card or bank account.
- Authentication/verification text messages or emails for accounts that you either don’t own or are not currently logging into.
- Your tax return appears to have already been filed/denied.
These are just some signs, there are many others. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself, and then protect yourself, both online and with all your physical documentation.
The NLNA Team