The Federal Government has updated its travel advisory to level four for the entire world, with Scott Morrison telling shoppers there’s no need to go out panic buying amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Scott Morrison’s press conference, summarised:
- An unprecedented, indefinite level-four travel ban is in place for the entire world. The travel advice for all Australians wanting to go overseas is “Do Not Travel“.
- There is a ban on non-essential indoor gatherings of 100 people or more. Australians are still advised to stay away from non-essential outdoor gatherings of 500 or more.
- Modeled on Singapore’s approach, the official advice is that schools will remain open.
- There are new measures in place for visiting elderly relatives in aged care. In end-of-life situations, facilities will have the discretion to put very strict arrangements in place to enable family members to see relatives.
- Scott Morrison has urged hoarders to stop panic-buying, as grocery stores deal with empty shelves.
- The chief medical officer has said a shut down of the country is not recommended by the experts
- Social distancing recommendations remain in place, including advice not to hand shake or hug
Other key moments from today:
Dr Kerry Chant confirms an increase of 57 cases of COVID-19 in NSW overnight